Home > Norman Neasom Exhibition > Neasom. N (Watercolours) > 56x Wixford Church

56x Wixford Church by Paintings by Norman Neasom (1915 - 2010)

Wixford Church

Watercolour - Signed dated and inscribed

Image Area: 14ins x 19ins

An interesting painting as Norman has shown Wixford Church as it may have been in 1881, with an early scaffold to the tower that could have been used in the restoration of the Church. The church is now a listed building as most are.

Parts of Wixford Church date from around 1400 or earlier with a lot of restoration being carried out c.1881. The timber porch and bell turret are probably of that date. There is a medieval ribbed and studded south door in the corner between the nave and the chapel, set in a romanesque door-way with simple arch and shafts with cushion capitals and a simple Romanesque north door which is blocked off. The Nave has Early English lancets, one to south, 2 to west, one to north-east. The north side has two 2-light Decorated windows.
The decorated south window with hood mould was probably renewed during the restoration. To the north one lancet and a window of 2 tiny steep lancets with a shaft and head, cut from a single block of yellow Campden stone, possibly from the 12th century or earlier

The restored perpendicular chapel with its east window, straight headed 2 and 3-light windows and a small door to the south. The interior boarded wagon roofs panelled with thin ribs and carved bosses, and 2 decorative roof arches of thin elaborate Gothic openwork to the chancel were probably early 19th century. The chancel has decorated piscina with a plain canopy curving forward and nodding ogee arch opening.

The early 15th Century lower part of chancel screen and part of side screen to chapel survive and have moulded rail and muntins. The Chapel has fragments of old stained glass re-set in windows. The brass chest tomb in the center of chapel with very fine brasses to Thomas de Cruwe (died 1411) and his wife. Figures under the ogee-headed canopies with inscriptions, badges and coats of arms are all intact and very finely detailed . Said to be 'the finest brasses in the County' (Buildings of England). The are also 2 small late 16th Century memorial brasses. The Nave has a 18th Century font

Enquire - send an email to us