Home > Norman Neasom Exhibition > Neasom. N (Drawings) > 65c The Road to Bordesley Abbey (pair)

65c The Road to Bordesley Abbey (pair) by Drawings by Norman Neasom (1915 - 2010)

65c The Road to Bordesley Abbey (pair) by Drawings by Norman Neasom (1915 - 2010)

The Road to Bordesley Abbey

Ink Drawing - Signed - N Neasom

Image: 160mm x 185mm - Framed: 310mm x 215mm

As a pair with The Road from Bordesley Abbey

In 1140 a group of Cistercian monks from Garendon Abbey in Leicestershire were granted land in the Arrow Valley by Waleran de Beaumont, Count of Meulan and Earl of Worcester. This enabled the monks to found Bordesley Abbey and turn the Arrow Valley into a place suitable for a monastery. Bordesley means 'the place where boards were obtained'.

Archaeological evidence show that when the monks arrived the Valley was a very marshy and inhospitable place, unsuitable for the building of a large Abbey - so they dug a complex drainage system and diverted the River Arrow.

The Abbey had about 20 farms or 'granges' in Warwickshire and Worcestershire and the sale of its produce - cereals and especially wool - gave the Abbey much of its wealth. The horse drawn carts in Norman’s drawings would have been used to carry the produce to market

In 1538 Henry VIII dissolved the monastic houses and Bordesley was demolished and the estates sold.

Enquire - send an email to us