Home > Norman Neasom Exhibition > History and Events > 65c Scribe at Bordesley Abbey

65c Scribe at Bordesley Abbey by Drawings by Norman Neasom (1915 - 2010)

65c Scribe at Bordesley Abbey by Drawings by Norman Neasom (1915 - 2010)

Scribe or Monk at Bordesley Abbey

Ink Drawing - Signed - N Neasom

Image: 100mm x 75mm - Framed: 245mm x 205mm

Bordesley Abbey was a 12th-century Cistercian Abbey near the town of Redditch in Worcestreshire

The abbey's foundation has been attributed to Queen Maud although it is actually Waleran de Beaumont, Count of Meulan who gave the monks of Garendon Abbey in Leicestershire some more land. The Count's twin brother was the benefactor of Garendon. However, Empress Matilda did lay claim to being patron of Bordesley once de Beaumont surrendered to her in about 1141. Thus making Bordesley a royal house. Bordesley Abbey was once an important local ecclesiastical centre, holding political control of the ancient township of Tardebigge

However, the abbey's importance was lost once its control of the area was taken from it in the 1534 disestablishment. It was demolished by Henry Vlll during the dissolution in 1538 and the property was sold

The ruins are now an archaeological site which has been undergoing investigation since 1969 by the University of Reading's Bordesley Abbey Project. Many of the excavated items can be seen in a visitor centre and museum at the site.

Enquire - send an email to us